Select Page

EAD Renewals

Start Your USCIS Work Permit Renewal Today

We Can Help You Renew Your Employment Authorization Document (EAD)

Employment Authorization Documents (also known as EADs or work permits) must be renewed on a regular basis. If your EAD expires before your renewal application has been approved, you will be out of status and will have a more complicated immigration process. It’s very important to contact an attorney before your EAD expires. With today’s backlog of permit applications, the process can take more than a year to complete.

How Does the EAD Renewal Process Work?

The first step is to file form I-765 with USCIS (US Citizenship and Immigration Services). If you’re applying for the first time or renewing your current EAD, the process is mostly the same.

If you are renewing your EAD, you must submit a copy of the EAD you have now. You will also need to provide other supporting documents, such as:

    • Form I-94 (proof of legal visitor status, retrievable at
    • Two passport photos
    • Proof that you are eligible for an EAD (this could be a Form I-485 receipt if you have a status adjustment pending)
    • Valid Identification documents from the government

EAD renewal also requires a $410 filing fee, though you could be eligible for a fee waiver if you had a removal proceeding suspended, if you are a temporary resident with deferred Enforcement Departure status, economic hardship, or if you work for NATO or other specific international organizations.

Employment Authorization card on USA Flag surface.
lawyer discussing with client how much does an attorney cost

Who is Eligible to Apply for Employment Authorization Documents?

Individuals in a variety of situations may be eligible to apply for an Employment Authorization Document. Examples include:

    • Students on F-1 Visa and who can show economic hardship
    • Students on F-1 Visa applying for Optional Practical Training, (OPT) status with their employer
    • Spouse or fiancé of a K-1 Visa holders
    • Adjustment of Status (AOS) grantees
    • Asylum seekers
    • Individuals with Deferred Enforced Departure (DED) or Temporary Protected Status (TPS)

These are some examples, but a variety of other scenarios will also create a pathway towards applying for the specific document you need.

Most important, is that you start your application far in advance. Today, the process for renewing your EAD could take a year or longer. If this would cause you to go out of status, it’s important to take action right away.

Contact Novo Legal

Our immigration attorneys have handled thousands of these applications, working closely with you, your employer, and/or your labor union to make sure everything is correct. We help workers in every industry, in every state in the U.S., with an excellent record of successful Visa applications and immigration proceedings. Contact our immigration attorneys now at (888) 746-5245.

Even if you do not have a job offer yet, you may be eligible to apply for your Employment Authorization Document. Contact us to speak with an attorney about your EAD application, or visit one of our offices in Denver, CO, or Seattle, WA.

© 2023 Novo Legal. All Rights Reserved.

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Creative by The Evoke Group